Wednesday, September 4, 2013

FOLLY BEACH by Dorthea Benton Frank

 
 I had the good fortune this past spring to spend a couple of days on Folly Beach, South Carolina, so of course when this book crossed my desk I was intrigued. I was expecting a total beach read and it was that but with an added dose of historical fiction thrown in which is always a good thing for me!
“Folly Beach” by Dorothea Benton Frank,  alternates between telling the story of Cate Cooper, a recent widow, who returns to her childhood home on Folly Beach to find out who she really always was meant to be and the true story of Dorothy and Du Bose Heyward, who co-wrote “Porgy and Bess” with George Gershwin.  Both stories play out while the characters stay in the “Porgy House” at Folly Beach and that is what weaves the stories together.
If you are looking for a light beach read with an added touch of history,  “Folly Beach” is perfect for you!

No comments: